Nowadays, technology is everything we talk about. Experts have come up with different ways we can maintain our facilities to serve us for extended periods. You got the idea about chlorine-free pools. However, in this generation, we have a saltwater pool that is not chlorine-free. Chlorine generators are used in these pools to keep the water clean and fresh all through. Instead of using harmful chemicals to keep your pool free of bacteria and other microorganisms, you can do this using a friendly method. Most commercial pool owners employ chlorine generators to keep their swimming facilities free of all agents that might make it unsafe.
Compared to traditional pools, saltwater pools are easy to maintain at large. These facilities have, over time, been modified to work efficiently. Chlorine generators are the best alternative to saltwater pool owners who need to avoid chlorine’s regular purchase to disinfect their pool. In this article, you will learn more about the saltwater chlorine generators. How they work and why they are an excellent option for most commercial pool owners.
How saltwater chlorine generators work
For the machine to work efficiently, there are two aspects you need to have in mind before turning it on for use.
- You need to ensure the water levels in the pool are maintained in the required levels
- Maintain proper pH levels
These machines work through electrolysis. Water in the pool passes over the cells of the saltwater chlorine machine and transforms salt into chlorine. Chlorine is then transformed to form hypochlorous acid, the main component in chlorine. Now, as water is sent back to the pool, it mixes with produced cl, which will kill all bacteria and microorganisms in your swimming facility. This way, you would have maintained your pool hygiene and safe for use.
In the market, you will find two types of chlorine generators. Each generator works differently to produce cl. Some require salt to be added regularly into the water, and others require no regular salt. However, experts recommend the one that requires adding salt regularly compared to the other option.
How to install a saltwater chlorine generator
The installation process of a pool is easy. However, like any other project, you need to involve a professional to get the work done for you if you lack the idea of doing it. Below are simple steps to get your generator installing in your pool;
You will start by determining the amount of water in your pool. Once you are done, add salt to the pool. The amount you will add depends on the amount of water in the pool. To have it best, one teaspoon salt fits one gallon of water.
Once you have completed adding salt into the pool, locate the pipe. This is where you shall install the cell assembly. You will follow to mount your control module and connect a switch used to control the pump.
Once you have connected the power code to the pump, get the control module, and connect it o the cell of the generator. You have installed the generator, and it is ready for use. Yow will turn it on and test it if it works.
We have learned much about the working mechanism of the saltwater chlorine generator and how to install it. But then, every machinery needs proper maintenance and care for it to function correctly. This is not something different from the saltwater chlorine generators. At times, they fail, and you will need to resolve into other means of cleaning the pool or fix it to continue performing its duties. If your machine fails, you need to troubleshoot it to determine where the problem lies.
Troubleshooting this machine is easy and can be done by anyone. You need to follow a simple guide to take you through the process. If you lack the idea of going about it, you can get help from a professional who will guide you to do it. Herein are a few troubleshooting tips and tricks that will guide you to determine whether your generator has a problem;
- Always ensure the power light in the power center box is on. If it’s off, then your machine has a problem that a professional needs to handle.
- The flow sensors and the cell should be adequately plugged in the power center.
- There needs to be continuous water flow through the system. If there is a blockage somewhere, check your filter. Take it apart and clean it to start working efficiently.
- Swimming pool owners require maintaining the required salt levels in the machine to get the best results. The ideal levels lie at 3200 ppm; however, you need to use the manufacturer’s guide to ensure they lie at what has been stated. You can use test strips or a salt test meter to determine appropriate salt levels.
- The cyanuric acid level of the pool is also essential. You need to check them and ensure they are between 60 and 80 ppm. The conditioner of the pool is its protective shield. IT helps to prevent the burning of cl in the pool by the sun.
- The machine also works effectively in pools with zero phosphates. So, if the machine fails, then the phosphate levels have gone high. Chlorine will try to destroy the phosphates, and eventually, it gets depleted. Therefore, you always need to ensure the phosphates are maintained at zero. If they build up, you can get an appropriate remover to remove them.
- You need to clean the cells. Calcium usually builds up on the cells of your machines, leading it to stop working correctly. You need to inspect the cells three months and ensure they are always cleaned.
- Lastly, if your pool has high calcium hardness, then the flow sensors might stop working. You need to use the manufacturers’ manual to clean it where necessary to have them work effectively.
No matter the model of saltwater chlorine generator you buy, they will all work the same. You only need to maintain them well to serve you well to keep your pool free from bacteria and other microorganisms.
The amount of salt you should add into your pool
Most people find it difficult to determine the amount of salt they should add to their chlorine generator pools. The amount depends on the pool’s size and the amount of water in it. These two aspects will provide you an exact estimate of the amount of salt you need. The salt levels in a pool should be maintained at 3500 ppm. The salt table is your guide to understand the amount of salt that lacks to add up to the required level.
For instance, if your pool has 5,000 gallons of water and the salts are currently 400, you require about 200 lbs to get it to the required amount. To equate this, you need approximately one teaspoon salt per gallon. This way, you will have the machine producing fresh cl to maintain the pool free from bacteria.
The benefits of saltwater chlorine generators
Installing the saltwater chlorine generator has immense benefits at large. There are different models of these machines in the market with varied costs depending on their sizes. The type of generator you will purchase will depend on the size of your pool. Below are a few benefits of the saltwater chlorine generators;
In most swimming facilities where generators are not used, swimmers should have to wait for up to an hour to swim for chlorine to mix evenly in water. This is different from pools with generators since swimmers can swim while the generator is operating.
There are dangerous chemicals in the market meant to clean the pool. These chemicals can be harmful both to you and your children. With the generator, you will avoid buying and storing such chemicals.
Most people will spare time to stock up chemicals to maintain their pools safe for use. The saltwater chlorine generators are ideal machines to save you the time you will use for other projects.
You need to maintain chlorine levels relatively constant throughout to ensure that every harmful bacteria don’t survive in the pool. The manual way of adding chlorine might not evenly spread in the pool. With the generator’s help, you are assured of an even distribution of chlorine in the pool.
Chloramines in water can smell bad and even make your eyes turn red. The saltwater chlorine generator is an ideal device responsible for reducing the production of chloramines in the pool.
Swimming pools are great investments at large. We need to maintain to serve us the best for an extended period. We also need to ensure they are kept safe for swimmers all through. There is a need to maintain chlorine levels always balanced to eliminate all bacteria and microorganisms from the water. This way, you will make it safe for you and your loved ones to swim. The saltwater chlorine generators are the best machines swimming pool owners should consider maintaining their pools clean and always safe for use.